[BITList] A root-and-branch inquiry: Inside the deep-digging, money-spinning, web-crawling world of family trees - This Britain, UK - The Independent

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 21 15:45:42 GMT 2010

John,

I've been there since 1975 and bought a good many tee shirts.  Technically,
family history is an extension of genealogy, the latter being mere names,
dates and relationships.  And family history is a branch of community
history, and so on.  I was fortunate in having done the bulk of my research
in Edinburgh from the original records, before microfilming and so on made
such difficult, if not impossible.  I have transcriptions of events that are
totally unreadable in any modern version, as I found out when trying to
double check something.  However, digitisation can have its advantages.  For
£13 a day in Glasgow I can get instant access to a vast array of Scottish
records on screen, including all BM & D, 1855 to about 2008, the original
certificates coming very fast indeed to a screen, so that one can flick
through them as if pages in a book.  Brilliant for looking for siblings of
people - just glance at the parents.  Why some people pay for copies I'll
never know - it's the information on them that matters.  Copy it out and get
on with the next one.

Eventually one is left with the Irish ancestors (pretty intractable unless
one has had screeds of data from some elderly aunt), and family legends.
One of the latter occupied me for nigh on 30 years, on and off.  Eventually
I tracked him down in Montreal living under an assumed name (avoiding
alimony?), and running a boilerworks.  The lady he abandoned in Paisley
around 1857 after 7 months of marriage - the child she was expecting almost
certainly wasn't his - led an increasingly dissolute life (it's all in the
Poor Law records) before dying of paralysis in Paisley Poorshouse. "A Pest
!" it said of her in big letters a few days before she died.  I can't speak
of the English version, but the Scottish Poor Law Applications are God's
gift to family historians.  From them, my wife learned her great great
grandmother was "quarrelsome and given to drink", the information being
supplied by a neighbour.  But it also listed her family : brothers and
sisters, who they married, what they did, where they lived, how many
children they had.  She did get the assistance she applied for - husband
Alexander had gone to the USA and stopped sending home money.  The Montreal
gent above was my great great great uncle's brother-in-law.

Great fun.