[BITList] social gmail

s14engine s14engine at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 9 05:37:59 GMT 2010

hugh

this sounds right up your alley.....................
tweet-like status updates into the gmail interface - I've missed tweet-like status updates so much.
a stream of media and status updates - who doesn't love that?
post and view messages about ones day-to-day activities - is that mandatory or on a need to know basis?
info shared from youtube and picasa as well - great, I have often wanted to do that and failed.
aggregate updates from more friends into a single stream - now we're talking business.

it will be available this week. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm................................................................

now I know why I feel deprived - I have no tweet-like status updates...........................................................

ct

Google's 'Social' Gmail: Could It Really Work?
JR Raphael, PC World

Feb 8, 2010 5:02 pm

Gmail, meet Twitter.

Google is preparing to unveil a new social networking component for its Gmail Web service, according to reports published Monday. The service, The Wall Street Journal says, would add tweet-like status updates into the Gmail interface. It could be announced as early as this week.

As generally happens anytime we get a glimpse at a new tech product, people are already rushing to label the social Gmail concept as a "Twitter-killer." (Following that same logic, by the way, I'm pretty sure the Nexus One killed the Droid, which killed the iPhone, which killed the Nintendo DS, and so on. For all this technology-killing going on, there sure seem to be an awful lot of things still out there.)

Homicidal digressions aside, could a social Gmail really work? Ultimately, it all depends upon the connections.

Gmail Gets Social
First, here's what we unofficially know so far about Google's potential social Gmail setup (Google's spokespeople have yet to comment on the reports):

. Gmail will supposedly gain a stream of "media and status updates" within its Web-based interface.

. Users would be encouraged to use the stream to "post and view messages about their day-to-day activities."

. Users would see information only from people with whom they choose to connect.

. The updates could eventually include info shared from YouTube and Picasa as well.

The reports compare the social networking concept to the status update system already present in Gmail's chat feature. As with most instant messaging platforms, the Gmail chat feature allows you to set a status that users on your friend list can see. The new social Gmail platform, The Wall Street Journal reports, will "aggregate updates from more friends" into a single stream. It's not clear if those updates would be tied directly to the Gmail chat statuses or whether they'd be something completely separate.