[BITList] 1895 - 8th GRADE EXAM]

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 31 08:55:42 GMT 2010

Frank,

My father (born 1908) left school at 15, as did I.  Dad, his father, and I attended the same primary and secondary (high) schools - don't know at what age grandfather Hugh left, probably 14.  My generation had the choice at 15 of going on till 17-18 at Greenock High School, but only a few did so, and only one out of the 100+ who started Port Glasgow High School in the same year as me (in different streams, A, B and C) went on to university - most of us were clever enough, but his folks had money.  I started as a gate boy in Lithgow's East Yard at 15.

Education has, indeed, gone down the tubes in some ways. The young have been hijacked by advertising and a faux pop and celebrity culture into considering the past a country not worth visiting or even remembering.  Granddaughter Sarah (19) is very bright academically, but I had to translate "bunnet" as "cap" for her the other day.  I suppose I could have gone via the intermediary, "bonnet", but I didn't, and God forbid I had used the variants "doolander" and "caidie".  With New Year coming on I talked to her of first footing and the changes that had taken place in that field.  She shook her head, not understanding any of it. She thought the idea hilarious, but she doesn't see anything odd in "Happy Halloween" cards.