[BITList] amanda

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 11 18:26:48 GMT 2010

Colin,

So, she was not little miss Dimsy Dewdrop. Being the type of person who, in the opinion of others, might easily commit murder, is not evidence of having done a murder.  There must be something the Italian police reckoned made it wellnigh certain she did it.  Incidentally, cases do go to trial here - serious cases with severe repercussions - where it is entirely A's word against B's.  I speak of anything involving sex, where A complains B raped/molested/etc her (substitute "him" for "her", and it's a different ballgame (no pun intended)).  And we read complaints from interested and influential parties that the conviction rate is not "high enough" !  It is not necessary to condone rape to see something very selective there.  I tried once to have a clown charged with assault (bloody near attempted murder with a spade) - the police weren't interested - my word against his, said the unaccompanied youth in uniform who turned up a couple of hours after I'd phoned - he couldn't have cared less.  He didn't interview the miscreant, so he hadn't a clue about his word.