[BITList] the family album

s14engine s14engine at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 28 18:38:23 BST 2010

I did the same thing sometime ago, hugh

in summer 1968 I took 8mm film of wife and first baby boy on an almost cloudless day at dunnet bay, caithness.
it was worth recording not only for the family, but the rare sunny weather and 10 miles of pristine beach which was completely empty, never saw another soul..........................................!
following that occasion, i took many more of those little reels of 8mm kodak film of family vacations all over europe.
I spent many happy hours making titles, editing the bits then splicing it together to make an hour or more long film on about 3 reels [no sound of course].
I had it all transferred to a vhs tape before dvd came out. when dvd became available I had the tape copied to dvd [with back ground music], then I made a number of copies myself and distributed them here and there.
a great record, I am glad I took the trouble to do that.
however, I have lots of recent holiday movies [now transferred to my pc] which I started to edit and try to knock up into an interesting dvd - but the editing software - and I have 3 different programs, is anything but easy.
it's all so time consuming, mixing stills, editing sections, cutting out bits, messing with the sound and back ground music, keeping audio and video synchronised and putting in titles, etc. that after a year or more of on and off efforts, I have given up. it turned out to be not worth the effort; anyway, that's my thought at the moment.

ct