[BITList] 3 pieces!

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 24 11:12:02 BST 2010

Colin,

I am taken back to when Scotts were building Ben Ocean Lancer and Pacnorse 1.  Those of us in Colin Ferguson's section (I believe his son and namesake sailed with BI)  were not on the conventional side of things (machinery spaces, etc) on these ships, instead, we went to classes to educate us on how to talk oilfield about moonpools, fishing, and BOPs, and the like.  And there was a whole new raft of firms to write to and phone.  One I recall was Universal Supplies, soon renamed Universal Non-Supplies.  Their catalogue was full of fishing stuff to meet all eventualities bar a spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  UN-S's dilatory delivery habits more than once resulted in someone (never me) travelling to pick up a valve - once it was to France.