[BITList] 3 pieces!

CT's x50type at cox.net
Mon Aug 23 22:24:43 BST 2010

BP Macondo well.
ct

Pipe found in Macondo well during fishing procedure is in three pieces
Published: Monday, August 23, 2010, 11:37 AM     Updated: Monday, August 23, 2010, 11:57 AM
 Kimberly Quillen, The Times-Picayune
Follow
Share this story
Story tools
BP's "fishing" procedure has revealed that there are three different sections of pipe inside the Macondo well's blow-out preventer, National Incident Commander Thad Allen said in a press briefing this morning.

One section of pipe is suspended in the middle and reaches down below the blow-out preventer and into the well. A shorter piece of pipe believed to be roughly 40 feet in length is beside that pipe and is roughly the length of the blow-out preventer itself. A third and final piece of pipe -- believed to be about one foot long -- is laying cross-wise in the well, he said.

"We'd like to finish the fishing experiment and remove the pipe if we can," Allen said.

Officials would especially like to remove the first piece of pipe, which is the largest. The other two pieces of pipe should not present as much of a problem, he said. Removing the pipe will make it easier for BP to move forward with its plan to remove the capping stack and blow-out preventer from the Macondo well and place a new blow-out preventer on top. BP would like to swap out the blow-out preventer with a new one somewhere around Aug. 26.

The fishing procedure is currently in its third day.

"Our goal was to complete (fishing) in three days, and it may go a little beyond that," Allen said.

Allen said the pipes are where they're at as a result of steps BP took in June to try to cut through a broken riser pipe on the site. BP first attempted to make the cut with a diamond wire saw and later began using large shears to make the cut.