[BITList] hooligans

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 19 08:19:24 BST 2010

Colin,

It was said by someone that one can't step into the same river twice.  Plus
ca change, plus c'est a different place.  Of Hull, all I recall is a
dockside pub at lunchtime, full of workmen watching Watch With Mother on a
black and white TV.  "Are you sitting comfortably?" asked the lady on the
screen.  "Yes," came a chorus from the punters.  That was Nowshera, 1958.
If I went back, I'd remember it all, and it wouldn't be there.  Same with
Middlesbrough, which is frozen forever in my mind as the background to the
Andy Capp cartoons.

I recall a bar in Port Talbot where the lunchtime clientele sang in 4-part
harmony - no doubt it was flattened years ago (not a pun).  Nothing remains
of the Glasgow dockside where I joined the Clan Maclay as Junior 2nd, but
all the docks in Greenock are still as they were, though I only ever left
them on sea trials.