[BITList] school days

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sun Apr 18 16:16:41 BST 2010

G'day Colin,

On 19/04/2010, at 12:12 AM, s14engine wrote:

<< I haven’t heard the complete story of your schooling in india,  john
how did that come about, how old were you when you started and left - then where?
you have only given us snippets over the years. I for one would be fascinated to hear all about it.
it’s a story about a gone by age [never to be repeated].
if you don't mind - please tell all you can remember, not to forget school friends, who they were and where they ended up. Do you have re-unions and a web site? >>

My Dad took a job just outside Calcutta in 1946. He went out on the 'Strathnaver' that was the first vessel supposedly to take out civilians after the war.

My mother and Mike went out on the 'Franconia' some 9 months later.

We first went to La Martiniére College in Calcutta. Mike joined the BI I think in 1949? In 1950 I went to anew school up near Darjeeling. both schools were boarding schools but at Victoria School we went up for 9 months - no home leave during that time. It must have been tough for the 5 and 6 year boys.

I left VS one year before I finished - to my life long regret. I too joined the BI, but I saw the light after 18 months and left, I have been in many jobs since then with complete life style changes. I ended up as the Head of Computer Studies in an all boys High School, here in Townsville. Been in this city since January 1985.

Yes there are reunions held in Sidney, Perth, London and Toronto. The reunions are held together with our sister school - Dow Hill.

And yes, I have been running a web site for the two schools from the early days of the Internet. In fact my first one was hand written in html code. And of course I have been running an email List for a little longer. The current one is hosted by guess who? Yes. Mythic Beasts. I run three Email Lists with MB.

You have already been reading bits and pieces from my web site.

The web site is pretty large now, as web sites go. There are two parts to it. The schools site and my own part of it.

To see my site go to...

http://vsdh.org/  and using the drop down menu...choose....  Autobiography http://vsdh.org/personal/index.htm

To see the two schools sites go to...

http://vsdh.org/vsdh.html

Both use 'drop down menus' for navigation.

I can recommend a few good places.

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/books/index.htm  Books and Poetry written by staff and old boys and old girls.

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/bloud/bloud.html An outstanding piece of poetry written by old boy Captain Owen Breeze MN.

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/dhr_book/index.htm The story of the DHR - Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (Hugh will like this one).

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/manser/index.htm   F/Off. Leslie Manser VC. RAFVR

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/diary/index.htm The Headmaster's Diaries. from 1905 -

In particular, read this one from the 27 March to - 18th May and remember that the telegraph only went to major towns and cities.  http://vsdh.org/vsdh/diary/1905.htm

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/pegler/index.htm The first HM of VS.

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/ai/index.html  Poetry by Sam Parry.

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/magazines/index.html  School magazines from both schools.

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/everest/index.htm The Mt. Everest Connection

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/poetry/index.htm  The Poetry of Both Schools.

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/warren/index.html The Memoirs of Warren O'Rourke - who is still with us on the VSDH List.

http://vsdh.org/vsdh/ww2/index.htm  The WWII old boys. Well worth digging around in here.

Alright...that should keep some of you busy for a while.