[BITList] Victor to the Skies!

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 12:23:35 BST 2009

G'day Hugh,

On 09/09/2009, at 5:09 PM, HUGH wrote:

 > From the Mail account I can't work out exactly what the "co-pilot"
 > did - press a button? flick a switch? pull a lever? - and why.

As I understood it - the 'engineer' was not a "Flight Engineer". But a
bod who had helped on the ground.

I have not worked n the Victor but I know that on multi-engined A/C
that the engines are synchronised automatically. "Press a button" ?

Had there been a co-pilot it would have been he who would have had
'command' of the throttles. Once the pilot has opened them to the
extent that he wanted then he would have handed them over to the co-
pilot. The reason that the co-pilot holds on to them is that all a/c
have friction devices on the throttles. They can be tightend or
released and as has happened many many times in the past the copilot
always places his hand behind the throttles to keep them n the pace
that the pilot has selected.

On a/c where there is a flight engineer, it is he who commands the
throttles on take off.

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.