[BITList] Teachers have to be told what a full stop is for -Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 6 08:54:23 BST 2009

Mike,

Quis custodiet ipsos custodies !  I quote : "chunk text up into meaningful units". Heavens above - I chunk, I have chunked, I will chunk. I don't remember ever having to use that particular grammatical tool during my school days. I do remember from my days in Kincaid's fitting shop, that one of the most popular phrases chalked up on the engines during their assembly was "CHUNKY, THE MAN WITH THE PINEAPPLE BOLLOCKS". As for educating teachers about grammar - comments containing words like "closing", "stable door", and "bolted" come to mind.  Incidentally, it was a period when I wor learned about it, not a full stop.