[BITList] The gushing report is even more impressive than their shows

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:38:26 BST 2009

The Red Arrows: aerial acrobats

Wing Commander Jas Hawker is the man who choreographs the world-famous
Red Arrows, the aerial display team who travel the globe performing
breath-taking stunts.

By Ismene Brown
Daily Telegraph (on-line) LOndin: 01 Sep 2009

Ready for take-off: Wing Commander and leader of the Red Arrows Jas
Hawker
The noise is deafening, but it’s music – of a kind – and the
ballet is about to begin. No need for a curtain to rise to show the
performers, their entrance can’t be missed, preceded by an
earsplitting roar, nine red shapes slashing across the sky. The Red
Arrows ballet has begun.

Is it a dance in the sky, this breathlessly exciting sight, that
causes 100,000 onlookers to exhale in fright or gawp in disbelief?
Surely it isn’t simply a ruthless utilitarian exercise to show
cutting-edge technology, the way Formula 1 is a shop window for
Ferrari or Brawn car technology.

Whatever it is, it is beautiful. Nine red jets roll and loop in
ribbons of patriotic blue, red and white trails. Several minutes of
tight formation flying, when they change shape from diamond to
triangle to bird to V, is followed by aerobatic fireworks that look
stunningly dangerous, planes seeming to smash into each other then
shoot out of the tangle like sparks from rockets.

At some point the pilot who’s the head of the diamond, the beak of
the phoenix and – most daring of all – the brush that paints an
infinity symbol in red smoke in the sky, while eight other jets roar
through the loops, comes down to earth. He’s known as “The Boss”.
I prepare to meet the Nureyev of the skies.

“I’ve never been described as a Nureyev of the skies before,”
says Wing Commander Jas Hawker. “Though I sometimes describe the sky
as my palette, on which I’m painting. What we do has got to be safe,
first and foremost, but it can’t be boring, it’s got to be exciting
to watch.” With 45 years of history, the Red Arrows displays aren’t
short of manoeuvres, any more than a ballet company is short of steps.
Some of the stunts even have curiously balletic names – the “Swan
to Fred Loop”, for instance, which is as artfully picturesque as a
flock of swan girls.

Hawker, 38, a former Tornado pilot in Iraq and elsewhere, has the rare
accolade of having choreographed a new gem, the “Infinity Break”.
This entails him weaving an infinity sign between his colleagues as
they roar towards the crowd, then whizzing back to the head of the
group as all the planes spray outwards in a spectacular burst.

The display is split into two halves: an aerial ballet for the nine in
constantly varied formation and then 12 minutes of dynamic manoeuvres
for two groups, five jets in the Enid (as in Blyton’s Famous Five),
four in the Gypo (rhyming with hippo, and no one knows what that name
comes from). The Boss heads the Enid, leading the newer pilots, while
the Gypo includes the most experienced aerobatic virtuosos working in
synchronised pairs.

Hawker explains that this is one ballet that is above all safety first.

“When I design a manoeuvre in my bath with my toy planes – no, not
really – I do have to cover all the what-ifs. What if you hit a bird,
what if the engine stops at this point, what if you lose the radio.
For every manoeuvre we have a mandatory safety get-out. Or we can’t
do it. We would never go and try flying something and then come back
and say, oh, that’s not safe.” The serious point about the Arrows
is that they push some of the best pilots flying operations over Iraq
or Afghanistan to a new level of mastery and confidence, and that
nothing draws recruits to the RAF like this jaw-dropping display. But,
as Hawker says, not even when he had been accepted in 2000 did he
realise what was involved.

“You’re not expecting to get in, because the competition to get in
is so fierce. Once the disbelief has drifted away, probably the next
emotion is: 'Ohmigod what have I let myself in for?’ There are days
when you may be the only one of the nine pilots who can’t crack the
finesse of a particular manoeuvre and you can easily get into a
downward spiral where you are letting everybody else down.”

I see that combination of grit and honesty displayed after the show,
when the nine pilots watch the video of their performance, each man
tersely correcting his own flaws: “Short. Long. Wide.” Wherever
they go they’re mobbed for autographs and photos by onlookers. From
April to September they fly 97 displays – the day I saw them in
Bournemouth they were popping over to Denmark to do a morning show and
back to Bournemouth in the afternoon.

Hawker acknowledges that the PR is necessary and it is a factor in
determining which of the 40 top RAF pilot applicants each year fill
the three vacancies. But “there’s zero place in the Red Arrows for
an egoist even though we do get associated with pop-star lifestyle. I
think if there were big egos around they’d be stamped out by the
team.” And when you see the aerial ballet you can’t miss the fact
no one would leave the ground to do such a thing if they had the
slightest niggle that one of the group had his own agenda. The margins
for error are minute.

Screaming by at 400mph, the £5 million planes are only feet apart,
pilots’ eyes glued to reference points – angles between nose and
wing, or wing and tail, lining up sights in simple trigonometry.

In 1971 and 1978, there were two appalling Red Arrows crashes in the
Hawk aircraft’s precursor, the Folland Gnat, killing both crews, but
for 30 years since, the biggest risk to a Red Arrow has been not
another Red Arrow but a bird getting sucked into the engine and
stopping it mid-loop.

“If we had a critical emergency at an air show we can probably glide
seven or eight miles away to find a safe place to put down,” Hawker
says. “We talk about all these things because we have to. It’s
unlikely to happen, but by talking about it, if the worst-case
scenario happens you’ve already got the mental database of what to do
inside your head.” That the Red Arrows rarely have a malfunction is
due to the equally fierce competition for the back seat in each plane,
for the pilot’s personal engineer. Currently, two women and seven men
occupy “the Circus”, as these elite engineering jobs are called;
this winter the Red Arrows finally acquires its first female pilot,
Flt Lt Kirsty Moore.

Last year, the Red Arrows displayed over New York, which they reached
by hopping 1,000 miles at a time on their two-hour fuel tanks from
Scotland to Iceland, Greenland, Baffin Bay and Canada, the old wartime
route for plane delivery. The aesthetic, tight-formation appeal of the
Red Arrows isn’t matched by any other nations – the United States
and Russian military display teams purely demonstrate combat aircraft,
Hawker says, though the French and Italians come closer with smaller
teams.

Arguments occasionally surface about the purpose of the Red Arrows and
whether their artistic finesse is an elite luxury, but Hawker, who
leaves this autumn after three years in charge, takes a pragmatic
view. “We don’t like the word elite, it makes us sound different
from the people on the front line. We’ll be going back there and
thanks to the Red Arrows our pure flying of the aeroplane will be
better.” I ask Hawker if he doesn’t consider himself and his
colleagues as being performers. “Very probably. I think we do know up
there if we’ve done well.”

Clearly for the RAF the Red Arrows are an extreme working tool for
perfecting their pilots, and yet that doesn’t explain why when one
watches their display one’s reaction leaps beyond mere admiration,
why one’s emotions have been seized. Those planes seem emblems of
such panache, flourishing courage as beautifully as possible in the
face of death, trying to control the impossible in three dimensions at
screaming speed. If you stand back a little further, it’s nuts. Other
nations think it’s enough to run display teams simply to demonstrate
combat aircraft. Only the Brits have this batty desire to turn
something essentially pragmatic and functional into an art form.

The Red Arrows will display at the Duxford Air show, Cambridgeshire on
Sept 5; further display dates www.raf.mod.uk/reds/displayinfo

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.