[BITList] Book suggestion

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 14:13:57 BST 2009

 From a long standing friend of mine.

Begin forwarded message:

Hi!
I have started reading a book that I thought you might like: How To
See Yourself As You Really Are by the Dalai Lama.

So far I have read 14 pages, and have been very impressed. The man has
some interesting insights and ideas. So far he's been talking about
universal concern being necessary to solve global problems...war is
outdated and the 20th century concept, that the 21st century has to
focus on understanding and peace...and he sees love and compassion as
the pillars of world peace. So far he hasn't said anything I disagree
with - he's put some things in terms - a twist of phrase, etc. - that
is unique....which I love because it causes new thought processes. One
of his pivotal comments is that all world religions are basically the
same - that they "all hold up love as an ideal, seek to benefit
humanity through spiritual practise, and strive to make their
followers better people. All religions teach moral precepts for the
advancement of mind, body, speech, and action: do not lie or steal or
take others' lives, and so on. Unselfishness is the common foundation
laid down by all great spiritual teachers."

Anyway, if you want something with a bit of 'meat' to it, this might
do it, if you haven't read it already.

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.