[BITList] BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Head and shoulders abovetherest

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 20 08:28:12 GMT 2009

John,

Re The Battle of Britain, etc, the film is not among our DVD collection, so
I can't fast forward it over the gratuitously offending bit.  That might be
a way round it, however. Much as I love old B&W WW2 films as a genre (I know
the subject film is in colour), far too many of them reflect the extremely
narrow perceptions of their makers, in that WW2 was fought by upper middle
class officers with sports cars, RADA accents, and villas in the Sussex
countryside or suchlike where rationing was never an issue.  In this they
were aided by working class Cockneys (many of them RADA Cockneys), plus
Bernard Miles, Gordon Jackson, a Geordie and a Welshman.  Now I must waken
Janet and remind her that she wants to go up to IKEA this morning.