[BITList] e-book!

CT's x50type at cox.net
Wed Nov 11 15:02:19 GMT 2009

e-book reader, anyone?

ct

This highly usable e-book reader for the PC shows off the Kindle platform well, even though it lacks some niceties found in its iPhone cousin and in Kindle hardware.
Amazon's Kindle family gained a new member today with the arrival of the free Amazon Kindle for PC reader app. And while I'm not a big fan of reading books on computer displays, I have to admit that Kindle for PC handles the basics of its job well. But it lacks a few features--most significantly the ability to create your own notes--found not just in Kindle hardware but also in the Kindle for iPhone app.

  a.. A 5.3MB download, Kindle for PC installs in a jiffy. After you log in to your account, it presents a home screen with options to look at your archived items or to shop at the Kindle store (the latter simply opens a Web browser window to Amazon.com's Kindle home page). Books appear as color thumbnails, sortable by author or title. It was nice to see the book covers in color for a change (the Kindle iPhone app does this, too).