[BITList] Fwd: Ted Kennedy's Knighthood

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:19:19 BST 2009

Begin forwarded message:

It’s up to you but I agree with a lot of the following. Teddy Kennedy
was one of the biggest supporters of the IRA during the troubles. I
really don't think someone like Teddy Kennedy who has a proven track
record of action against our troops should be honoured by our country.

A petition to have the offer of a knighthood to Senator Teddy Kennedy
rescinded is online at the Downing Street Website - if you feel
strongly enough please do sign the petition via the link below. You'll
get an acknowledgement from Downing Street to your email, and to
activate your signature you have to click on the link in their email.

Background

Gordon Brown announced in his address to Congress on 4th March that
Ted Kennedy is to be awarded an honorary knighthood for 'services to
the US-UK relationship and to Northern Ireland.' This is an insult to
all law abiding citizens of the UK including Northern Ireland -
especially to those innocent people who died during the Troubles in
Northern Ireland, and to those who currently hold the same honour.
Throughout his career, Ted Kennedy has been no friend of our country.
He was staunchly pro-IRA when their campaigns were at their bloodiest
and constantly rallied against the British 'occupation' of Northern
Ireland. He does not deserve such a merit. How can he be awarded the
same honour as true, great American friends of the UK such as Ronald
Reagan, Norman Schwarzkopf, George Patton and Dwight Eisenhower? This
is after all the man who fled the scene of a car accident that left a
woman to die trapped underwater. His political career has been self-
serving and opportunist, as was his role in the Irish peace process.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Kennedy-Ted/