[BITList] A Telegraph reader thought you would be interested inthis article

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 19 09:29:46 GMT 2009

Ron,

To the daft questions asked by tourists I can add one often asked in Edinburgh - "What time does the one-o'clock gun fire at?"

And it's not only tourists who lack a few pence from a shilling.  On a visit to the US, our daughter was asked, at various times, "Did you drive over?"   "Where did you learn to speak English?"   "Do you have telephones in Scotland?"  At that time Susan was just a girl - nowadays she'd probably answer the last question by "No, we use effing smoke signals!"