[BITList] Explain this one

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 17 10:37:13 GMT 2009

John,

Nice trick, but why all the shrill "Oh my God!!"s, as if it was something other than a man coming through an opening in a window?  Our granddaughter got a full set of Jonathan Creek DVDs for her birthday, and we've been watching them one at a time (is there any other way?).  For the uninitiated, the fictional Jonathan Creek's full time job on TV is designing illusions for a fictional stage magician - his part time hobby is solving "locked room", and related, mysteries involving foul play, with a female assistant.

Sherlock Holmes said that, when the impossible has been eliminated, what's left must be the truth.  Two things are impossible : 1 - part of a pane of window glass becomes liquid, and 2 - man passes through solid glass. So, glass did not become liquid and man did not pass through solid glass, hence man passed through something other than either, ie, an opening behind the "paper" (if that was paper I'm a Dutchman).  All the talk of liquid glass was to fixate the audience on the illogicality of glass suddenly becoming liquid so that they were amazed (being Americans) by an obvious trick instead of insisting on there being an opening.  The chap who asked if he could go in before the illusionist closed the door was later portrayed as the alleged owner of the place - said he, "He went through my window !".  He was standing inside watching him, so he must know.  And the nameboard of the place was obscured.  Devious.  How did he do it?  I haven't a clue.