[BITList] What is exactly is one TRILLION dollars?

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 01:16:04 GMT 2009

Subject: What is exactly is one TRILLION dollars?

Okay - I just want one so much....anyone?? Can you get me just ONE???

What is exactly is one TRILLION dollars

All this talk about "stimulus packages" and "bailouts"...

A billion dollars...

A hundred billion dollars...

Eight hundred billion dollars...

One TRILLION dollars...

What does that look like? I mean, these various numbers are tossed
around like so many doggie treats, so I thought I'd take Google
Sketchup out for a test drive and try to get a sense of what exactly a
trillion dollars looks like.

We'll start with a $100 dollar bill. Currently the largest U.S.
denomination in general circulation. Most everyone has seen them,
slighty fewer have owned them. Guaranteed to make friends wherever
they go.

A packet of one hundred $100 bills is less than 1/2" thick and
contains $10,000. Fits in your pocket easily and is more than enough
for week or two of shamefully decadent fun.

Believe it or not, this next little pile is $1 million dollars (100
packets of $10,000). You could stuff that into a grocery bag and walk
around with it.

While a measly $1 million looked a little unimpressive, $100 million
is a little more respectable. It fits neatly on a standard pallet...

And $1 BILLION dollars... now we're really getting somewhere...

Next we'll look at ONE TRILLION dollars. This is that number we've
been hearing about so much. What is a trillion dollars? Well, it's a
million million. It's a thousand billion. It's a one followed by 12
zeros.

You ready for this?

It's pretty surprising.

Go ahead...

Scroll down...

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you $1 trillion dollars...

(And notice those pallets are double stacked.)

So the next time you hear someone toss around the phrase "trillion
dollars"... that's what they're talking about.

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.