[BITList] Belt Driven Machinery

fredmno at aol.com fredmno at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 18:23:55 GMT 2009

Hi Hugh & Tom,

                       re belt driven lathes etc. When I started my
apprenticeship two thirds of the machine shop was belt driven, remember
the bars of belt soap to stop the belt from slipping? As my time
progressed virtually all the old stuff had been replaced, methinks just
the Cincinnati milling machines were left by the time I departed. The
company I worked for, Whittiker Hall manufactured compressors,
hydrovanes and clutches, the clutches were bloody great things and I
was told at the time they were for earth moving machines and the Royal
Navy. As you know clutch plates had asbestos sides and these were
fitted to cast iron plates in the fitting shop then machined to size
on the lathe, there really is no hope for me at all! Whilst on the
subject of day release etc., one of the subjects that I was surprised
to see included was social studies, one thing I'll never forget during
the light relief of these classes was the tutors insistence that as
time went on people would be working less and less with robotics taking over and would have more
free time, well I suppose that this has come to pass, only problem with her
theory though is that the dole pays sod all and whats more its begrudged!

                                                BR Fred