[BITList] Telstra - Mongrels.

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 04:46:36 GMT 2009

The Advertiser - Bendigo - Australia

Call to hang up on Telstra

28/02/2009 9:51:00 AM

A SACKED Telstra employee has called on Bendigo to boycott the company
in the fallout from the decision to close the King Street call centre.
The Advertiser reported yesterday that Telstra would axe 133 workers
when the centre closed in May.

Member for Bendigo Steve Gibbons supported the public backlash against
Telstra for its “disgraceful betrayal of the Bendigo community”.

The Telstra employee said the company had treated workers like “pieces
of s...”.

Morale in the centre had been down for the past two years.

“It’s like going to jail, not going to work, but they would probably
treat you better in jail,” the employee said.

“There’s no such thing as caring for people with Telstra. I don’t
think we’ll ever find out the truth behind the job cuts.” Asked what
the response would be on encountering outgoing Telstra chief executive
Sol Trujillo, the employee said “I’d punch him in the face”.

Some people at the centre had worked for Telstra in Bendigo for 40
years, the employee said.

“We’ve got houses and mortgages and families, and we were continually
told that we wouldn’t get closed down, that we were the best call
centre in Australia.

“My message to Bendigo is: find a new provider. It’s time we hit them
where it hurts.” Mr Gibbons said Telstra no longer deserved the
support of Bendigo customers.

“This is nothing but a disgraceful betrayal of the Bendigo community.

“It is a decision that Telstra did not need to make at this critical
time for our economy.

“The cost savings from moving jobs from one call centre to another
must be minimal and absolutely trivial in the context of a company of
Telstra’s size.

“It is this type of American management philosophy - the one-eyed
pursuit of short-term profits before all else - that led to the
current global economic crisis in the first place.” Bendigo Trades
Hall Council secretary Karen Kyle said Telstra had behaved abominably.

“It’s very sad and disappointing, but typical of Telstra - bullying in
order to get things done.”

My Comments:

1. "find a new provider" - Thats been my position for years now. They
still ring me up and want me back! Mongrels.

2. Asked what the response would be on encountering outgoing Telstra
chief executive Sol Trujillo, the employee said “I’d punch him in the
face”. This man would have to line up in the queue like the rest of
us. He'd have a long wait.