[BITList] Off Topic - A clarion call to come to senses - at last!

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 08:49:49 BST 2009

General Sir David Richard’s call for a review of the Armed Forces is
timely

It’s time for our defence chiefs - the head of the Royal Navy, Army
and Royal Air Force, to put the security of the nation before the
interests of their own individual services, writes Sean Rayment.

Sean Rayment
Daily Telegraph, London: 25 Jun 2009

Decode General Sir David Richard’s speech at the Royal United Services
Institute yesterday and the message is obvious - the military needs a
Strategic Defence Review - now . But the next review should go much
further than any before. "It’s time", as Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn
Torpy, the out-going head of the RAF told me earlier this month, "to
kill some sacred cows". It’s also time for our defence chiefs - the
head of the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force, to put the security
of the nation before the interests of their own individual services.

The British military is still effectively equipped to fight a European
war against a conventional adversary - an event which is wholly
unlikely to happen. Tomorrow’s threat will not come from strong
nations such as Russia or China as in the past, but from weak or
failed states such as Yemen and Somalia - the current breeding grounds
for Islamist extremism.

What use are 1000 heavy Challenger tanks, even if the Army had them,
against an enemy who lives and fights amongst a rural populace and
whose hearts and minds we are trying to win? What use is the multi-
billion pound Trident nuclear submarine fleet against an enemy which
attacks western capitals with hijack civilian airliners? The RAF have
an aircraft now so sophisticated - the Typhoon - that at the moment it
can’t fly in Afghanistan because it is feared the adverse conditions
of the southern desert - the wind and sand - may restrict its ability
to fly. Great.
There is no suggestion that all of these conventional weapons should
be scrapped but we must get the balance right.

Britain will be fighting in Afghanistan for many years to come. Our
lack of success in the country so far is in part due to our shortage
of troops, so the Army should expand, if necessary at the cost of the
other two services. Success in Helmand will in part be due to
restricting the enemies freedom of movement - that can’t be achieved
with the woeful number of troops currently in the province.

Unmanned Air Vehicles have been a major success in the fight against
insurgents. They have saved British lives and have dealt several
deadly blows to the Taliban high command - but the RAF only has around
five - why?

Every day in Helmand, British troops are being killed and injured by
improvised explosive devices because they are forced to travel by road
rather than by air due to a shortage of helicopters. Such levels of
wanton negligence border on the criminal. British troops are dying and
will continue to die unless petty inter-service rivalries are killed
off - hopefully this is the first step in the right direction.