[BITList] SOLIDARITY WITH IRAN (AND CHINA TOO?)

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 06:59:38 BST 2009

 From an acquaintance....

Its a good idea.

Begin forwarded message:

SHOWING SOLIDARITY WITH THE IRANIAN PEOPLE (AND CHINESE PEOPLE TOO?)

June 21, 2009

Good morning and Happy Father's Day to all fathers and those who up
with them put!

Today, I have a brief but serious subject.

There has been much discussion about how much President Obama should
speak out in favor of the protestors (and hopefully revolutionaries)
in Iran.  Recently, on the anniversary of the Chinese crackdown in
Tiananmen Square, there was nary a whimper from the world about
Chinese repression.

About a week ago, I read a story about an American company seeking an
injunction against use of its protected software code in computers
shipped to China.  Apparently, the Chinese government has issued an
edict that as of certain date, all computers are to be equipped with a
filter that allows certain web sites to be blocked and some say, may
allow tracking of what people are doing.  The US company complains
that its software codes have "mysteriously" appeared in the system
being prepared for compliance with this edict.

It goes without saying that shutting down the Internet, cell phone
networks, telephone systems and TV and radio broadcasts is inimical to
our notions of freedom.

In the past the US broadcast via Radio Free Europe and the VOA.

Now, it's time to enter the modern age.

I think one of the best policy initiatives the United States could
implement is to use our Satellites to provide free Internet access for
all Iranian and Chinese people to counter government shut downs.
Whether this should be expanded to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and be
24/7/365 are issues to be determined.

The United States should also provide access to a free cell phone
network allowing calls and text messages by Iranian and Chinese
citizens whenever their governments shut down local networks.

We should also provide free relay broadcasts of TV and radio news and
information broadcasts under these conditions.

This is a heck of a lot cheaper than military force or economic
sanctions, would frustrate the piss out of the Chinese and Iranian
governments, and demonstrate the power of freedom of speech and
freedom of the press.

Just another thought swirling in my little Bwana head.

Cheerz...