[BITList] dim!

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 12 14:23:45 BST 2009

Sunday,

Colin,

Janet is off to Greenock to buy a card and a gift for her friend's birthday which was yesterday.  Once we spent 8 hours in Minneapolis airport awaiting an onward flight to the UK (the fridge magnets are still on the fridge).  We got to know the departure lounge very well indeed, and I even got to know the street outside after I went through a door marked No Entry and found myself outside.  Native wit got me back in again by another door - so much for security !  Anyway, there was a fine display of cards for missed anniversaries, all with plausible excuses.  I've never seen such cards here - Janet could be doing with one.  But to our tale ....

You asked if present day kids are dimmer than we were at the same age.  Not in general, but there are many who are definitely much dimmer, and I blame it all on technology - there's too darned much of it, and it goes out of fashion too fast, leaving their brains stranded in limbo.  A chap wrote to the Herald the other day that he had dusted off the turntable to have a listen to some records, and his 26-year old daughter was amazed by it all.  She asked to have a go, and he let her, after giving her some instructions. "Did you hear such and such?" he asked her.  She hadn't heard it - he hadn't told her records have two sides.  In her world, every disc with a hole in the middle has only one side with music on it.