[BITList] What's in your garden shed

Derek Hargreaves deaitch at talktalk.net
Sun Jan 25 12:31:53 GMT 2009

Dave

During almost 40 years in the military aircraft business, I never heard a true professional, directly connected with flying, use the word 'plane'!

In informal conversation it was almost always 'aeroplane'. More formally or using the written word, 'aircraft' was the norm. This terminology extended from Chief Executives through test pilots, design, engineers to the shop floor labourers as well as a Professor of Aeronautical Engineering at Cambridge and all the RAF people I ever encountered! 'Plane' ? Ugh!

Derek H