[BITList] Keep women out of engineering

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 22 11:02:59 GMT 2009

Dave,

I agree some men are dim when it comes to machinery.  However, a brand new vacuum cleaner appeared in our church halls, small, light, easily dragged around, and it became a favourite of the ladies who were in the habit of using such. One Friday I went down with my wife on one of her weekly stints as a member of the volunteer group of ladies who clean the actual church, and I asked why they were using the old, big, heavy, noisy, unreliable machine that had been consigned to a dungeon.  The other one was broken, they said.  How broken? I asked.  Just broken, they said, it's been that way for ages, it doesn't suck, it's going in the bin.  Ten minutes later I had removed the bit of paper that was stuck in the pipe.  Oh, well, they said, sarcastically.