[BITList] Fwd: [BIship] Rajula crankshaft failure

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Mon Jan 19 23:41:34 GMT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Smythe" <Anthony at Smythe1933.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: 19 January 2009 17:08:46 GMT
To: <BIship at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [BIship] Rajula crankshaft failure

This incident occured on leaving Penang on 26th March 1964. The
starboard main engine crankshaft fractured through the main journal
immediately forward of the forward
I.P. crank web. Rajula was built in 1926, and was thus 38 years old at
the time. The Chief Engineer said in one of his reports that in his
opinion that there had been an inherent fault in the manufacture of
the shaft.

However, the metallurgical report from Lloyds Crawley dated 23rd July
1964 stated quite categorically that failure had occured at a sharply
angled step in the journal, and that no detrimental internal forging
defects had existed prior to the failure, i.e. the fault lay in the
design of the crankshaft and not in its manufacture.

The following are extracts from the Lloyds report:

"On drawing the fractured part from the crank web it was noted that
the diameter of the journal was greater inside the web, the shaft
being sharply stepped flush with the crank web face and coincident
with the origin of the fracture. "..." The diameter of the journal
within the shrink was approx. 13.5" while that of the portion outside
the shrink had been reduced to approx. 13.2". Examination of the
mating halves of the fracture showed that the form of the step had
been an acute right angle. A fatigue crack had commenced at the root
of the step and had propagated slowly and under relatively low cyclic
stress..."...." It was clear that failure had occurred due to combined
torsional and bending fatigue originating at a sharply angled step in
the journal"....." It is not known at what stage in the life of the
crankshaft the step in the journal was machined, but the nature of the
fracture indicated a slow crack propagation under a relatively low
level of cyclic stress. "... " ...." there was no evidence to indicate
that any detrimental internal forging defects had existed prior to the
failure "

In the light of the Lloyds report,  it would appear that BI would have
had no grounds for blaming Barclay Curle for an inherent manufacturing
fault in the original casting.

I'm afraid that I cannot recall if Barclays had a spare crankshaft -
can anyone else recall how the repair was made? I remember that R.T.
( Russell ) Smith was 2/E/O on board at the time of the incident.

Tony Smythe

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: