[BITList] Fwd: [BIship] RAJULA - Maine Engine broken crankshaft

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Mon Jan 19 23:40:58 GMT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David Humphreys" <lindadavidhumph3 at yahoo.com>
Date: 18 January 2009 13:28:52 GMT
To: BIship at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BIship] RAJULA - Maine Engine broken crankshaft

I recently had cause to investigate the fracture of a main engine
crankshaft and this reminded me of the fractured crankshaft on the
RAJULA. The incident was related to me some years ago by Jack Jones who
was Third Engineer onboard at the time or shortly afterwards and I
believe the vessel was at the time about 30 years old but the company
still had the cheek to sue Barclay Curle the engine makers alleging the
damage resulted from a blow hole in the casting. Although the engine
was out of production they mysteriously still had a "spare" crankshaft
lying around in their yard which the gave free of charge to BI.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who was involved or has
more accurate information of this incident as I would like to use it in
a paper on engine damages to underwriters.

Regards
David

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional