[BITList] Odd facts

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 03:14:30 GMT 2009

G'day Hugh,

On 18/01/2009, at 12:49 AM, HUGH wrote:

<<

My daughter gave me a couple of books for Christmas. One of them is a
compendium of what the author calls "useless facts".  Under letter C
alone I find the following :

The musical condom was invented by Ferenc Kovacs, and launched in
Hungary on 17 June, 1996.  While being unrolled, it plays a tune from
a selection, among which, the Communist song, "Arise Ye Worker."

Cornflakes were invented by John Harvey Kellogg, conceived as a
therapy to curb the sex drive of mental patients at the Kellogg
sanatorium.

One ounce of cress boiled down will produce enough cyanide to kill two
mice.

In July, 1996, the authorities in Queensland, Australiam published
their Workplace Health and Safety Guide, which included a warning not
to "place any part of one's body in the mouth of a crocodile."

The word "cheese" occurs twice in the King James Bible (Samuel 2 and
Job).

The Roman general, Lucullus, is said to have comitted suicide when he
realised he was running out of cherries.

Charles I (of Oliver Cromwell fame) was 4ft 7 in tall, before his head
was cut off.  Charles II was Charles III according to Nell Gwyn, who
had three boyfriends called Charles.

In January, 2000, the Russian Orthodox Church ruled that chess is not
a sin.

And my my Mum would have said, "Well, I never!"

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.