[BITList] ON THIS MSG WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR VIEWS

KENNETH567 at aol.com KENNETH567 at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 14:51:08 GMT 2009

Subject:  Fw: A VISITOR there's alot of truth to this
Unfortunately,  very true...
This is very interesting and not the ending I  had
expected!!!!
A few years after I was born, my Dad met a stranger  who was new to our small
Texas town.  From the beginning, Dad was  fascinated with this enchanting
newcomer and soon invited him to live with  our family.  The stranger was
quickly accepted and was around from then on.
As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my  family.
In my young mind, he had a special niche.  My parents were complementary
instructors: Mom taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey.  But the
stranger...he was our  storyteller.  He would keep us  spellbound for hours on
end with Adventures, mysteries and comedies.
If I  wanted to know anything about politics, history  or
science, he always knew the answers about the  past,
understood the present and even seemed able to  predict the future!  He took
my family to the first major league ball game.  He made me laugh, and he made
me  cry.  The stranger never  stopped  Talking, but Dad  didn't seem to mind.

Sometimes, Mom would get up quietly while the rest  of us were shushing each
other to listen to what he had to say, and she  would go to the kitchen for
peace and quiet. (I wonder now if she ever  prayed for the stranger to leave.)

Dad ruled our household with certain moral  convictions, but the stranger
never felt obligated to honor them.  Profanity, for example, was not  allowed in
our home... Not from us, our friends or any visitors.  Our longtime visitor,
however, got  away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made my dad
squirm and  my mother blush.  My Dad  didn't permit the liberal use of alcohol.
 But the stranger encouraged us to  try it on a regular Basis.  He  made
cigarettes look cool, cigars manly and pipes distinguished.
He talked freely (much too freely!) about sex.  His
comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes  suggestive, and generally
embarrassing.
I now know that my early concepts about  relationships were influenced
strongly by the stranger.   Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents,
yet he was  seldom rebuked... And NEVER asked to leave.
More than fifty years have passed since the  stranger moved in with our
family.   He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was  at
first.  Still, if you could  walk into my parents' den today, you would still
find him sitting over in  his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk
and watch him draw  his pictures.
His  name?.... .. .

We   just call him 'TV.'
(Note:  This should be required reading  for every
household in America  !)
He  has  a wife now...We call her 'Computer