[BITList] QE2

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 28 22:39:07 GMT 2009

Saturday,

The Time Watch programme on BBC TV this evening was based on the last voyage of the QE2.  We heard from passengers, chefs, security men, hotel managers, and a whole range of such, with one or two wee bits from the Master, the only member of the actual sailing staff to feature - they could hardly leave him out, so he was in. Angela Rippon said she (the ship) was beautiful, even in engineering terms, the sole mention of that aspect bar a sequence showing her construction and launch.  Mention was made in this of labour troubles that had delayed her completion, and Tony Benn commented that he sympathised with their reasons for striking - poor working conditions in winter.  One Cunard spokesman reckoned the number of different trades had been a problem - one of these days I might work that one out.  Benn also commented that, in all the praise handed out for the ship, not a jot is ever given to the men who created her.  So she made it to Dubai, propelled and navigated by meals, cocktails, afternoon tea and deck tennis.  I forget - the Falklands trip knackered her turbines (they said), so she was re-engined.

I'm sure they could have sacrificed one of the many bits showing people eating and drinking, and showed us something other than the catering.