[BITList] The Key to Calcutta, circa 1945

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 27 09:03:59 GMT 2009

John,

A fascinating look at the customs and standards of the past.  I noted the
two clubs for enlisted men of different colours.  My father would have been
in Calcutta now and then in that period - his regiment, the Royal Scots
Fusiliers, fought alongside the US, supporting those creating/repairing
roads and railways during the push south in Burma, and they were moved north
for periods of recuperation. We used to have a photo of dad and some
colleagues in a rest camp, all looking like starving refugees, ribs sticking
out.  He said they were "force fed" oranges, and from then on he never ate
an orange.  He also told me there was a sign outside a place, maybe
Rawalpindi (he was there in 1945) saying : No Soldiers or Dogs Admitted.