[BITList] The Key to Calcutta, circa 1945

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 06:57:56 GMT 2009

http://cbi-theater-1.home.comcast.net/~cbi-theater-1/calcuttakey/calcutta_key.html

What a historical gem this page is!

** The Calcutta Key **
by BRIG. GEN. R. R. NEYLAND, Calcutta, 1945

for the USE OF US MILITARY PERSONNEL ONLY
Prepared by
SERVICES OF SUPPLY BASE SECTION TWO
INFORMATION AND EDUCATION BRANCH
UNITED STATES ARMY FORCES IN
INDIA - BURMA
=======

TEEK-HAI

Once I knew a man who grew up in Philadelphia but never visited
Independence Hall located there. I know several New Yorkers
who though they live in its shadow, have never visited the Statue
of Liberty.

I hope it can never be said that you were in Calcutta and didn't
visit the Burning Ghats, the Kalighat Temple, and some of the
other - equally famous - sights which Calcutta affords.

If you come here with an open mind you will find Calcutta is
"Teek-Hai" (Okay). Of course, it's just like visiting any big city
back home: you can have a good time, or a bad time, depending
on how well you take care of yourself.

Incidentally, the people here like us. They think we're all right.
Thanks to the good behavior of the American soldiers who
preceded you, a friendly welcome from these folks awaits you.
If you behave equally as well, a similar welcome will await your
buddies who follow you in here.

"Teek-hai ?"
========

More at -