[BITList] Fwd: [INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ] Lois MacDermid

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 07:19:37 GMT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 24 February 2009 4:34:46 PM
To: <india-british-raj at rootsweb.com>
Subject: [INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ] Lois MacDermid

** Mabel Lois MacLachlan, or Lois as she prefers, was
born on January 10, 1917 in Howrah General Hospital,
India. She was named after Mabel Lois Eddy who was
an American missionary in Calcutta that her parents had
become friends with through the church. Actually, Miss
Eddy was a bridesmaid and witness at the wedding of
Alexander and Clara which took place in Calcutta on
January 31, 1916. Lois' father, Alexander MacLachlan,
was Scottish and her mother Clara was American. Alec
worked in Calcutta for B.I. (British India Steam Navigation
Company).

The families of British workers for companies such as
B.I. lived across the Hugli River from Calcutta in Howrah.
They lived together in blocks of flats (4 in a block) inside
an enclosed compound. Each family had its own set of
servants. **  [snip]

with several images.

http://www.colinwelsh.com/content/gran.html

ooroo