[BITList] Black Weekend 2009

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 14:08:12 GMT 2009

Black Weekend 2009

Up the side of mountains it glows

Deathly flames growing higher and higher

Along the plains and through valleys it blows

Unchallenged this killer lucent fire.

Red hot embers raining from above

No chance of outrunning its advance

Knows nothing of compassion or love

Teasing with its orange flamed dance.

Leaving behind a landscape so charred

Indiscriminate on how many lives it took

Survivors forever will be mentally scarred

Some lived hiding in a water soaked nook.

Homes and memories razed to the ground

Begins the sifting through the ashes

Ghostly eeriness and desolation abound

The terror through a child’s mind still flashes.

We have all been touched by that horrific weekend

When it seemed like Satan returned with hell

A black time that’s so hard to comprehend

For loved ones, you bid a teary farewell.

Emerging from this blackened barren land

Native animals subdued by injury

A koala drinking from a firies hand

Needing human help through this catastrophe.

To the firies showing valour and tenacity

Continuing the fight, though dead on your feet

Your efforts will be recorded with total veracity

As you never looked into the eyes of defeat.

They’ll build again, standing proud and tall

Strength and determination will be applied

How we fight when our backs are against the wall

One thing that can’t be killed is famous Aussie pride.

David J Delaney

16/02/2009     ©

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.