[BITList] Nostalgia - For some

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 10:55:25 GMT 2009

G'day Derek,

On 11/02/2009, at 6:21 AM, Derek Hargreaves wrote:

 > I get the impression that the number of flightworthy Spitfires
remaining, significantly exceeds the older Hurricanes which have
survived.

I expect so. They are more 'desirable' than Hurries.

<< There is no doubt that the former saved our bacon against the
massed German daytime raids forcing them to change tactics to night
time bombing. Sadly, and I quote a contemporary senior pilot, "very
soon the poor forward view and delicate landing characteristics of the
Spitfire had resulted in a heavy accident rate in night landings and
they were withdrawn from regular night operations" whereas ".flying
the sound, stable and easily landed Hurricane was no problem". >>

There were many problems with the Spitfire. One of which was
considerable is related to the track of the main wheels which were
much closer together than the main wheels n the Hurrie. This made them
unstable on the ground.  The German ME109 suffered from the same
problem, but there's were worse as the attachment points of their
undercarriage was on the body of the aircraft itself as against being
attached to the wings as the Spitfires was. And in the Spitfire, the
decision to mount them further inboard was in order to keep the wing
thin.

 > PS My wife arrives in Cairns tomorrow UK / today OZ expecting to
see the reefs. Have they sunk? Is she going to be disappointed?

At least she will be able to eat. It was reported on the TV news
tonight that the first trucks carrying foodstuffs made it through by
road.

She'll certainly notice the humidity.

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.