[BITList] Nostalgia - For some

Derek Hargreaves deaitch at talktalk.net
Tue Feb 10 20:21:33 GMT 2009

John

Lovely pictures!"

I get the impression that the number of flightworthy Spitfires remaining, significantly exceeds the older Hurricanes which have survived.

There is no doubt that the former saved our bacon against the massed German daytime raids forcing them to change tactics to night time bombing. Sadly, and I quote a contemporary senior pilot, "very soon the poor forward view and delicate landing characteristics of the Spitfire had resulted in a heavy accident rate in night landings and they were withdrawn from regular night operations" whereas ".flying the sound, stable and easily landed Hurricane was no problem".

Regards        Derek H

PS My wife arrives in Cairns tomorrow UK / today OZ expecting to see the reefs. Have they sunk? Is she going to be disappointed?

DH