[BITList] Beyond Grant Road

Derek Hargreaves deaitch at talktalk.net
Fri Feb 6 17:46:58 GMT 2009

Hugh

One of the memories which arose from your mention of Grant Road goes back to Dunera's return from the Sicily landings in 1943 with a sizeable number of rupees available for squandering. This led to a search for a decent bottle of beer ashore to escape from the firewater known as 'Tooth's Australian Lager.

We were recommended to visit Number 96, Lamington Road , a somewhat up market version of Grant Road with a Chokidar on duty behind double gates secured by chains. After being vetted by the'madam', the two of us were admitted to a very tasteful lounge bar stocking shelves of Bass and Worthington - unseen  for four years!

As the girls were optional and as we couldn't afford the 300 rupees to stay the night followed by breakfast and a taxi home, we settled for a few beers and a chat with any of the unoccupied girls.

A couple of days later, a letter arrived inviting all the ship's officers to a birthday party for one of the girls! You won't believe me but it was drinking and dancing all night but no hanky panky - at least none that I was aware of!

Happy Nights.

Regards             Derek H