[BITList] A Telegraph reader thought you would be interested inthis article

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 7 16:04:37 GMT 2009

My memories of India are well out of date, but I saw the things criticised
by some commentators on the success of Slumdog Millionaire.  Riches and
poverty side by side, deliberately blinded children begging, children
selling their sisters, men flogging their daughters, a blind armless legless
man begging with a bucket clamped between his leg stumps, wriggling along on
pads attached to his shoulder blades,  a taxi in which I sat being rocked
from side to side on Grant Road (I was not participating, just waiting for
the idiot who was) by the press of beggars expecting me to open a window and
throw money out.  It's always the same when a film is made about a
recognisable location and society.  When one of Peter McDougall's TV films
set in Greenock was shown, all hell was let loose in the local press - how
dare he show this and that, traducing the good name, etc, etc. I was a lone
voice pointing out that they were talking a load of ordure - take a look
around you I told them, or look in a mirror.