[BITList] Fwd: Surely the Victorians were the greatest of Britons

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 7 09:32:24 GMT 2009

John,

The status of the Lunar Society is secure, but I'd have to dig into my study notes on the "industrial revolution" to argue further.  While looking at the Wikipedia article, I noted a phenomenon I first encountered as a schoolboy. When looking up a word in a dictionary I'd get sidetracked onto one that came up, and then, ten minutes later, I'd wonder what the original word was.  On the second site, William Murdock, an Ayrshire man, was born William Murdoch.  He altered the spelling of his name when he moved south, as a concession to people who couldn't pronounce Murdoch - my daughter is one such.  And on the third, ho hum, wimmens' role in whatever it is she is on about.