[BITList] Fwd: Surely the Victorians were the greatest of Britons

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 02:19:14 GMT 2009

I am but the messenger...

enjoy - or otherwise.

My personal view is that it was the Lunar Men and Women who laid the
foundations for the "Victorians" to stand on.

See...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Society

and...

http://www.birminghamstories.co.uk/story_page.php?id=11&type=fo&page=1&now=0

and....

http://www.search.revolutionaryplayers.org.uk/engine/resource/exhibition/standard/default.asp?resource=5218

ooroo

Begin forwarded message:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article5670578.ece

 From The Times
February 7, 2009
Jeremy Paxman: Surely the Victorians were the greatest of Britons

For decades the Victorians and their art have been dismissed as old-
fashioned and sentimental. But we are wrong to reject the most dynamic
chapter of our history?

Jeremy Paxman
In my childhood it was generally agreed that the adjective Victorians
meant stuffy, buttoned-up, gloomy, cold, mawkish, prudish and
hypocritical. Victorians wore dark, uncomfortable clothes and had
dark, uncomfortable values. They inhabited a world of smugness and
draughty corridors. They shrouded the legs of pianos in case the turn
of a piece of wood might trigger lascivious thoughts. If you were
describing where someone lived (and the house where I spent many of my
early years fits the bill) you might, without thinking about it very
much, add the extra adjective: he lives in that grim Victorian house
down the road.

No one disputed your right to make such a value judgment. To our eyes,
the Victorian house does look grim, Gothic and forbidding, designed
less to welcome or comfort than to impress. The curious thing about
this prejudice was that a dislike of the taste of the Victorians ran
alongside the painful recognition that the country they had created
had enjoyed a much better standing in the world than the one in which
the inhabitants of Cold War Britain spent their lives. We were like
children railing against unfairness, screaming you'll be sorry; it
strikes me now that so much of this dislike was the consequence of
this fatuous sense of perceived injustice. The Victorians had made our
world, but we didn't feel much at home in it. We weren't quite sure
what the new world would require (we're no more certain now) but we
were quite confident that, whatever it was, it wouldn't involve the
moral certainties and Gothic curlicues of the Victorians.

It has been the odd destiny of the Victorians to have created modern
Britain, only for modern Britain to sneer at them. In reality, of
course, the reputation of the age rises and falls not on its own
intrinsic merits but on the tastes and prejudices of the point from
which it is viewed. Our attitudes have yet to escape the long shadow
cast by the superiority of the Bloomsbury set. As the cartoonist and
19th-century enthusiast Osbert Lancaster once observed of the
Victorians, “In the Twenties they were deemed comic because they were
good husbands, in the Thirties they were thought shocking because they
were bad employers.” By the 1960s, they were just an irrelevance.

And so an astonishing world began to vanish. Entire streets of
terraced houses were bulldozed. Municipal buildings, public bath-
houses and schools were laid to waste. The General Post Office on St
Martin's-le-Grand in the City of London, with its thousand radiant gas
lamps, was demolished as early as 1912. The London Coal Exchange had a
date with the wrecker's ball in the 1960s, swept away to allow for
road-widening work in the City. With its central rotunda and towering
dome, its 40,000-piece wooden floor inlaid in the shape of a mariner's
compass, its tiers of balconies, dealers' offices, its wind dial to
determine when the next shipment of coal might arrive, this, surely,
was a building that might have belonged in Harry Potter's Diagon
Alley. It was flattened. The same fate befell the grandest monument of
the railway age, the magnificent classical-revival arch that greeted
travellers at Euston station. The contractor charged with levelling
the thing offered to find an alternative site for the arch, but, no,
the Government decreed it must be destroyed.

The remorseful contractor commissioned a silver model of the arch and
presented it to the president of the Victorian Society, who remarked
that the gesture made him feel as if some man had murdered his wife
and then presented him with her bust. In this sort of atmosphere, the
best that a conservationist might hope for was mere indifference, of
the sort that befell the Midland Hotel, the spectacular building
designed by George Gilbert Scott at St Pancras, with its clock tower,
turrets, gables and pinnacles: what had once been the grandest hotel
in the empire subsided over the decades under moss, decay and pigeon
droppings.

We flatter ourselves that we are less blinded by aesthetic prejudice
today. The miracles of Victorian engineering - the Clifton and Forth
Bridges, the Ribblehead Viaduct that carries the Settle to Carlisle
railway line across the uplands of northern England - are now loved
and appreciated; and those severe 19th-century houses appear today,
curiously, a little less severe when advertised on glossy property
websites (indeed the Midland Hotel is about to reopen after a
multimillion-pound restoration). Victorian storytelling is, rightly,
recognised as second-to-none, and the larger-than-life characters
invented by Dickens, Thackeray and the Brontë sisters provide perfect
fodder for a succession of screen costume dramas. But the visual art
of the Victorians has yet to be rescued from indifference. J.M.W.
Turner may have painted the most popular picture in Britain in 1838
(The Fighting Temeraire, Tugged to Her Last Berth to be Broken Up,
according to a 2005 poll by the National Gallery and BBC Radio 4), but
between him and the Impressionists there is little to trouble the
senses apart from the Pre-Raphaelites, and they are a decidedly
acquired taste.

It isn't difficult to see why they should have become so disregarded.
Britain's second most popular painting, The Hay Wain by John Constable
(not a Victorian: he died in 1837, the year that she took the throne),
appeals to a sense of rural stability that feels absent from our
frantic, deracinated present. The Hay Wain and similar paintings do
not merely adorn the tops of old-fashioned chocolate boxes, they are
themselves a kind of comfort food.

Many of the pictures of the Victorians, in contrast, seem like a dose
of bitter medicine. The painters are clearly on the lecture circuit:
they are trying To Tell Us Something, and there is an uncomfortable
sense that they expect us to damn well sit up and pay attention. We
are not supposed to like many of these paintings very much. In fact,
F.W. Fairholt's Dictionary of Terms in Art of 1854 tells us that a
good deal of Victorian art was not much more highly regarded at the
time in certain circles at any rate. Anecdotal paintings, he notes
disapprovingly, were “very reprehensible, although the most popular
among the vulgar-minded patrons of Art”. Today, from a greater
distance, the military ones appear to glorify battles we know nothing
of, the moral tales seem to be trying to indoctrinate values we
discarded long ago, and too many of the remainder appear cloyingly
sentimental. And we might as well be frank and acknowledge that lots
of them are simply not very good. But there is another way of looking
at these pictures. They tell us stories.

After all, Britain may not have experienced the political revolutions
that swept through much of continental Europe in the middle of the
19th century, but the long period of Victoria's reign witnessed
revolutions in virtually every other field; nothing was the same at
the end of this era as at its beginning. Where people lived, how they
worked, what they did with their leisure time, even what they believed
were all transformed, often out of all recognition.

Cities exploded, and with them a sense that this new beast with its
noise and smoke and crowds wasn't such a nightmare once you had got
used to it. The frenetic chaos of a site like the General Post Office
in the City was famous: spectators would gather simply to watch the
bustle. The unrolling of the railway across the length and breadth of
the country saw everyone from the lowest-paid to the toff help
transform sleepy seaside towns into boisterous resorts.”

The artists of the period people like William Frith, Elizabeth Butler,
Ford Madox Brown and Edwin Landseer - helped the Victorians adjust to
new realities, taught them to celebrate the places where they were now
living, provided moral guidance and connected the whirling, noisy
present to a suddenly distant ancestral past. Often, the stage was set
for formal presentations of Victorian life: a posed family scene,
commissioned to show off one's wife and children, a comfortable
drawing room complete with framed canvases and rosewood furniture, a
display of material success for the gazing world. Such scenes are two-
a-penny in Victorian painting. At other times, such painters as Henry
Alexander Bowler reflected the doubts and fears that modernity was
increasingly bringing in its wake; others, like Edward Burne-Jones,
responded to these changes by looking back to a distant and ostensibly
secure mythical past.

Not all of this art makes for comfortable viewing - for Victorian
paintings do more than simply provide illustrations of the period. In
the subjects the artists chose and the messages their patrons wanted
to see communicated, they tell us about the condition of Victorian
society. And, patrons or artists - Luke Fildes, for example, whom
Dickens praised - with finely developed moral and political senses can
show us how life was, not merely for the statesmen, mill-owners,
divines and philosophers, but also for ordinary people, and,
frequently, for those at the bottom of the heap.

Paintings such as Fildes's keenly debated and much reproduced
Applicants for Admission to a Casual Ward (1874) or G.F. Watts's Found
Drowned (1849-50) (a title taken from the gloomy daily column in the
The Times which published lists of women, mostly prostitutes, found
dead in the Thames) were the cinema newsreels or documentaries of
their day. Like those, they were not a true facsimile of life but a
doctored version, designed to demonstrate a deeper or broader truth
that the chance spectacle allowed.

These subjects and concerns, however, were in the minority, for the
main focus of the contemporary artist was the world of bourgeois
Britain. In this sense, the art of the period was a faithful
reflection of Victorian Britain itself, for this was the era in which
the middle class rose into full cultural and economic dominance. Some
Victorian artists would become hugely prosperous by feeding the
market: large fortunes were being accumulated by industrialists and
traders, large houses were being built to accommodate them - and large
canvases were needed to decorate their new walls. By the end of the
century, some paintings were being sold for vast sums of money; even
the most unlikely subjects could command high prices. So much so that,
in 1881, The Monarch of the Meadows, a painting of cattle by T.S.
(“Cow”) Cooper was stolen from the London home of the wealthy glove
manufacturer who had commissioned it, and ransomed. When Sir Lawrence
Alma-Tadema was commissioned by a wealthy engineering contractor to
paint The Roses of Heliogabalus, showing the Roman emperor Elagabalus
attempting to suffocate his guests by showering them in petals, the
artist could afford to have fresh roses sent every week from the South
of France during the four months it took him to paint the canvas.

Before Victoria's reign, metropolitan artists had tended to rub along
among the artisans of Soho and Tottenham Court Road. As the vast new
middle-class market gave them the opportunity to become middle class
themselves, so they began to settle in smarter and more comfortable
areas of London: Kensington, Holland Park and St John's Wood. Alma-
Tadema had a house in St John's Wood elaborately decorated in the
style of a Pompeian villa, dripping with opulence. These artists'
houses were intended to serve as both studio and home. But they were
also, frankly, for showing off. Frederic Leighton's house in Holland
Park, complete with its astonishing Arab Hall, is perhaps the grandest
of the residences that survive, but many others clustered near by.
Other artists in the area included George Frederic Watts, the son of a
poor piano-maker (long maligned as didactic, G.F. Watts recently
returned to the spotlight thanks to Barack Obama, who includes a
lengthy tribute to Watts'ss painting The Audacity of Hope in his
bestseller, Dreams From My Father) and William Holman Hunt, whose
father had been a warehouseman.

As the public devoured their paintings, so they lapped up anything
they could learn about the artists who produced them - and many of the
successful 19th-century painters were happy to oblige, revelling in
their fame. Nowadays, of course, few of these figures are widely
known, and this is in itself a reflection of the fact that so many of
their paintings are largely unappreciated - a sobering thought for any
popular contemporary artist when we consider that they were viewed by
vast numbers of people in their day. Leeds, a city of under 400,000
people in the 1890s, might have 250,000 visitors to its City Art
Gallery in a single year. The Royal Academy summer exhibitions would
regularly pull crowds numbered in the hundreds of thousands.

Then there were the vast cultural and industrial exhibitions that were
such a feature of mid-Victorian life. The most famous of these, of
course, is the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in London's Hyde
Park, 1851. But perhaps the best example was the Manchester Art
Treasures Exhibition of 1857, over the space of 142 days, it drew in
1.3 million visitors from all over the world. So prevalent was the
belief in the improving power of art that enlightened industrialists
like the wool magnate Sir Titus Salt chartered special trains to bring
their workers on all-expenses paid visits to the exhibition. Salt's
2,500 employees arrived in their Sunday best, accompanied by the works
band. Great set-pieces of the era like the Manchester Art Treasures
Exhibition and London's Great Exhibition were all about the power of a
public view.

Everything was bigger, faster, louder, including the urban crowd. And
increasingly there was a civic gospel too, explicitly set out by the
leaders of the new industrial cities of Britain, an almost religious
belief that, with vision, energy and ratepayers' cash, the Victorian
city could become the envy of the world. The money was provided,
helped along by new legislation that enabled taxes to be levied for
the provision of galleries and museums. Such places were viewed as
zones of “rational recreation”, designed not merely to aid relaxation
but to educate, to show that the wealth of Britain was about more than
dark satanic mills.

If you spare the time to stop and examine the paintings of the time,
there is no better way of coming to understand what life was like at
the time when, with the aid of steam power and armed with the Bible,
the British traversed the globe. As someone who has spent all his
working life in the business of journalism, I am fascinated with for
them this reason, they attempted to create a visual record of what
happened in an era of unprecedented change, to tell stories of a new
social reality - modern life.

The Victorians by Jeremy Paxman is published on March 26 (Ebury
Press); his series, The Victorians, starts on BBC One on Feb 15

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.