[BITList] Fw: Russian Powerhouse Catastrophe

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 29 07:22:15 BST 2009

Ron,

As you say, the control room could easily have been elsewhere, higher up, leaving the business end of the electrics down below.  I spent most of my life determining the position of machinery, etc, and I can't think on a reason why anyone should have thought it a good idea to stick it where it was .... perhaps one of the bean counters or colour consultants or ex-supermarket executives who seem to run most of industry nowadays.  Or even an over-qualified, under-experienced designer - I've encountered both types and, left unchecked, they cause mayhem. I have every confidence they'll rebuild it exactly where it was. Regardless of this, the number of people killed requires explanation.  It is not evident from the text and pictures where they were and why they were there.  The crucial question might be, what were they doing, and did it cause the disaster?  Or did they get advance warning?  The normal staffing level of the whole facility can't have approached the number killed.