[BITList] Scotland

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 13 10:34:27 BST 2009

John,

Och aye.  While on the subject of water, I note that Glasgow City Council
are spending enormous (really enormous, about half a mill) amounts of money
on bottled water to fill up the water dispensers in their offices.  I
managed to survive in 14 different offices during my career without catching
sight of a bottled water dispenser, let alone use one.  One thing Glasgow is
famous for is the quality of its tap water, so maybe someone should tell the
eejits running the place.  Among the matters they say they are going to
discuss so as not to be confronted with accusations of idiocy again are -
health and safety connected with drinking tap water, health and safety
connected with spillage of tap water from non-dispensing facilities. When
did people start to need guidelines for taking an effing drink of water? You
couldn't make it up, is often said in such cases, but not in this one.  I
did make it up, back in the 70s when I was with Scotts in Greenock (office
No 8).  The urn for boiling the water for tea and coffee was situated in the
print room down a flight of stairs, and a queue used to snake back from it
around tea break times.  Some just had the one cup, some had two, and some
had teapots big and small. Spillage was commonplace. So I drew up a spoof
set of rules to manage the traffic, with a rule of the road and details of
likely hazards such as Mr Beck in ballast.  Mr Beck was a retired Chief
Engineer who had come in to work as a technical clerk - he was big and
unsteady and carried a very large pot of tea.  I didn't think to worry about
the health aspects, just the safety.