[BITList] Fwd: [Senior Money Memos] New Comment On: Frozen UK Pensions - Should Legality, Equity or Morality Apply?

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:38:46 BST 2009

Begin forwarded message:

From: Senior Money Memos <bwelford at shaw.ca>
Date: 27 April 2009 4:07:10 PM
To: wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Subject: [Senior Money Memos] New Comment On: Frozen UK Pensions -
Should Legality, Equity or Morality Apply?

There is a new comment on the post "Frozen UK Pensions - Should
Legality, Equity or Morality Apply?".
http://www.seniormoneymemos.com/2008/12/22/frozen-uk-pensions-should-legality-equity-or-morality-apply/

Author: Jolly Jack
Comment:
While the subject matter on this forum is "non-indexed pensions," I
resent being told by Michael Thompson that those who emigrated had
"ditched" the UK.
If I remember correctly, it was the British Gov't itself that urged so
many to emigrate right after WWII because of the tight unemployment
situation in the UK resulting from the demob of so many military
personnel. Their jobs, taken over by women (bless them!), were no
longer available as women exerted their right to contin ue to work if
they wanted to.
Such emigration was further urged by the British Gov't in the form of
subsidized tickets to Australia and Canada, costing such emigres just
10 pounds each.
What I also resent is that some of our NI funds are not being used for
their intended purpose, that is, to pay decent, indexed pensions to
all who paid into the scheme.
Pensioners in the UK are being short-changed!
But some of those living abroad, at the suggestion of the UK Gov't,
are in dire straits.
Prewar, I remember the days when England was looked upon across the
world as the standard bearer of fair play.
Postwar, successive British Gov'ts have shown the world how
parsimonious they can be towards their own people!
I find it repulsive to have to write comments like this, but the only
thing that comes to mind is -- Shame on Great Britain!

See all comments on this post here:
http://www.seniormoneymemos.com/2008/12/22/frozen-uk-pensions-should-legality-equity-or-morality-apply/#comments

To manage your subscriptions or to block all notifications from this
site, click the link below: