[BITList] shine

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 23 16:17:59 BST 2009

Colin,

All machined parts in Kincaids, inc the tops of crankcases and the ends of frames, were shiny when the machining stopped, but never ever were they as shiny as that, and any shine present dulled with time.  Even when the coat of protective liquid was removed from such as journals, crankpins and crank throw bores, one could never say the shine was dazzling.  We all worked to the same tolerances, laid down in tablets of stone by B&W, Sulzer, etc, the people who issued the licences to build and produced the original drawings and specs. Deviations were rarely allowed.  Though .... I worked for a year as an apprentice with a Dutchman who required a mirror finish on things that would never see the light of day once assembled and boxed up.  I had to produce the mirror finish.  It wasn't anything profound, just his way of making me an engineer.