[BITList] Don't tell me - big marine engine

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 23 07:55:30 BST 2009

John, I agree with you - it is, indeed, a big marine engine.  As you know, all marine engines were big, even before the media discovered them and said, "Wow, that's a big engine ! Gawd almighty, that's bigger than a car engine !"  I fell off one, so I should know. Even the engine shown briefly in films about the Titanic was a big engine. Where have these people been for the past 1.5 centuries?  Having said all that, some bits look obsessively shiny to my eye, eg, the top of the bedplate, the boiler suits, the hard hats, the crankshaft. None of this rings a bell with me. The effort put into that could have been more usefully employed.  Old Neilly Bell in Kincaids would have had something to say about such frippery.