[BITList] Fwd: A.Word.A.Day--perendinate

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:19:59 BST 2009

G'day Hugh,

On 20/04/2009, at 8:18 PM, HUGH wrote:

 > We have memorised the word, and we'll use it at every
 > opportunity, though not until the day after tomorrow.

Well done.

<<Here's a word that baffles me, and every dictionary I've tried -
"yare".  Forget the River Yare, unless it is derived from the same
root, and ignore meanings to do with agile, etc.  As far as I can work
out from a reference to it in a 15thC document, it has to do with
fishing, possibly a tidal salmon trap.  I quote, translating to modern
English - " .... the profits of his proportion of the fishings of
Sunday's tide of the Yare of Finlayston with a beit and net and such
like as had been used at said Yare."  I haven't a clue what a "beit"
was. >>

While I cannot vouch for their correctness, my Apple iMac comes up
with answers to your queries.