[BITList] Fwd: A.Word.A.Day--perendinate

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 20 11:18:06 BST 2009

John,

We have memorised the word, and we'll use it at every opportunity, though not until the day after tomorrow.

Here's a word that baffles me, and every dictionary I've tried - "yare".  Forget the River Yare, unless it is derived from the same root, and ignore meanings to do with agile, etc.  As far as I can work out from a reference to it in a 15thC document, it has to do with fishing, possibly a tidal salmon trap.  I quote, translating to modern English - " .... the profits of his proportion of the fishings of Sunday's tide of the Yare of Finlayston with a beit and net and such like as had been used at said Yare."  I haven't a clue what a "beit" was.