[BITList] Fwd: A.Word.A.Day--perendinate

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:28:02 BST 2009

I like it - I'll have to see if I can start using it in my daily speech!

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Wordsmith" <wsmith at wordsmith.org>
Date: 20 April 2009 4:21:51 PM
To: wulguru.wantok at Gmail.com
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--perendinate

  Wordsmith.org	The Magic of Words

This week's theme
There is a word for it

This week's words
perendinate
Got a website?
Free content for your site
words, quotations & more
  Discuss
  Feedback
  RSS/XML
A.Word.A.Day
with Anu Garg

There are two times in life when we are most likely to be lost for
words: when we're happiest and when we're saddest. For other
occasions, we can usually think of a word. With such a large wordstock
in its coffers, the English language is at the ready to supply just
the right word.

Stock up your verbal reserve with these week's words, words that may
make you say, "I didn't know there was a word for it!"
perendinate

PRONUNCIATION:
(puh-REN-di-nayt)

MEANING:
verb tr. : To put off until the day after tomorrow.
verb intr.: To stay at a college for an extended time.

ETYMOLOGY:
 From Latin perendinare (to defer until the day after tomorrow), from
perendie (on the day after tomorrow), from dies (day).

NOTES:
The word procrastinate is from Latin cras (tomorrow). So when you
procrastinate, literally speaking, you are putting something off till
tomorrow. Mark Twain once said, "Never put off until tomorrow what you
can do the day after tomorrow." In other words, why procrastinate when
you can perendinate?

USAGE:
"In Peterhouse the Master and Fellows might not allow a stranger to
perendinate for more than a fortnight unless they were certified of
his moral character and of his ability and willingness to do the
College some notable service."
Thomas Alfred Walker; Peterhouse; Hutchinson & Co.; 1906.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
In their youth both Herder and Schiller intended to study as surgeons,
but Destiny said: "No, there are deeper wounds than those of the body,
-- heal the deeper!" and they wrote. -Jean Paul Richter, writer
(1763-1825)

This newsletter is made possible in part by these sponsors:

Try the Visual Thesaurus!
See a map of your word in the Visual Thesaurus. 145,000 words. Audio.

delanceyplace.com: thinker's daily quote
A carefully selected non-fiction book excerpt free to your email each
day.
How to display your ad here?

Unsubscribe | Subscribe | Update address | Gift subscription | Contact
us

© 2009 Wordsmith.org

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.