[BITList] Fwd: [INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ] A corner of the former empirewill be forever deep-fried in batter

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 14 15:31:48 BST 2009

John,

I've not been a fan of anything fried, let alone deep fried, for many years,
though fish and chips a couple of times a year does nobody any harm. In my
travels I've found mince and tatties (called tatties and mince in these
airts) can vary a lot.  In Tuscon, Az, one year, we went to THE, the Tucson
Heritage Experience.  This involved citizens of all ethnicities being
ethnic - there were lots of stalls and things. One of them offered mince and
tatties and shortbread.  The shortbread was excellent, but Tucson mince and
tatties had clearly undergone a sea change since it last saw Scotland.  It
was a sort of mix of mashed spuds and mince, what Shepherd's Pie might be if
mixed up.  Nice to eat, but not tatties and mince.  Even here, there is a
variety I dislike, made from supermarket mince - supermarket mince never
loses the shape it adopts when coming out of the mincer, it stays stringy
throughout the cooking.  Tatties and mince in our house has mince from the
local butcher; carrot; onion; potatoes added cut up, or sliced placed on
top; and sometimes dumplings made from flour, water and seasoning, added not
long before serving.  The latter are called doughboys.